New Posting! – R&D Engineer
General Engineering & Research (GE&R) is a small R&D company in San Diego, California that has an opening for a full time Engineer. The successful applicant will help build a high efficiency novel cryogenic refrigeration technology which utilizes the magnetocaloric effect to create cooling. Schedule is somewhat flexible with most work to be performed during normal business hours, however you must be willing and able to adjust schedule to accommodate experiments/testing activities as needed for the project. GE&R offers all full time employees an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with background and experience (anticipated to be in the range of $75K - $100K annually).
The successful candidate will be energetic and capable of working both individually and with other team members. Responsibilities for this position will require developmental work both onsite and at offsite facilities located in San Diego. This project is funded by the US Department of Energy and the California Energy Commission, and is a collaborative effort between GE&R and the University of California, San Diego. You will be working closely with scientists and engineers from GE&R and UCSD, and will be working hands on to build a refrigeration prototype, test performance, and provide recommendations and implement innovative solutions to optimize performance. You must be able to wear many hats, from concept to product design, assembling mechanical and automated systems, working with powerful magnets in cryogenic temperature ranges, designing testing methods, and maintaining/troubleshooting high tech equipment. This project is expected to generate multiple patents.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an early stage development project within the “clean” energy sector, which has multiple market applications. Travel to review meetings to give presentations may be required 1-2 times per year. Because we are a small company you may also be required to perform tasks outside of your general job description.
Education: Minimum BS in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or related engineering field, with at least 3 years of hands on experience in refrigeration (experience can be academic or industrial). MS or PhD a plus.
- Experience with refrigeration systems (cryogenic and/or gas liquefaction a plus).
- Experience with magnetic refrigeration – or working on magnetocaloric systems/materials
- Experience working with magnets, magnetic fields, and/or magnetic materials.
- Ability to design and assemble mechanical and electrically powered systems
- Experience with open source electronic prototype platforms (such as Arduino or Labview) would be a plus.
- Thrives on solving challenging and open-ended problems in engineering and physics through research and experimentation.
- Great communication and writing skills.
- Ability to understand a wide variety of technical disciplines.
- Must be willing to perform tasks outside of general job description.
- Must be self-motivated and able to perform with little supervision.
- Must be able to solve difficult problems !
Qualified candidates should send both a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly describe your refrigeration experience.